Pages

Tuesday, October 27, 2009

Cassette from My Ex Available Tuesday, 10/27



Fans of Rob Sheffield's Love Is a Mix Tape rejoice! A new book about mix-tapeology comes out on Tuesday, October 27. Cassette from My Ex: Stories and Soundtracks of Lost Loves, edited by Jason Bitner, co-creator of FOUND Magazine, compiles 60 tales of lost loves and mix tapes from a mixed bag of writers and musicians, including Rob Sheffield, This American Life's Starlee Kine, The Magnetic Fields' Claudia Gonson, Blender Magazine's Joe Levy, The New Yorker's Ben Greenman, Mortified's David Nadelberg, etc.

If you're still holding on to a mix tape or two without holding on to your tape deck, you probably know what it is to love the memories behind the plastic. I keep a small stash of my favorite mix cassettes—labeled such colorful phrases as "Pitch the Baby, Summer 1993" and "Hecate, 1994"—despite having no way of playing them these days: just looking at the sloppy handwriting on the labels is enough to hit rewind... if I ever wanted to relive the time I threw up at a party listening to Siouxsie and the Banshees' "Kiss Them for Me."


Indie Imps


(Justin Vernon as Garth)

EMusic.com brings you It's an Indie Halloween! If you need costume ideas or a good laugh, check out the site for pictures of well- and lesser-known musicians in costume, both now and many harvest moons ago. You can see My Morning Jacket as the Ghostbusters and John McCauley as a ripening California Raisin, among others.



The Swell Season Local Shows



Thanks to an anonymous poster last week for the heads up about upcoming Swell Season shows. You can catch the duo in Kansas City on November 30 at the Uptown Theater and St. Louis on December 4 at The Pageant.

5 comments:

  1. I'm very excited about 'Cassette from my Ex.' I loved Sheffield's book and am obsessed with mix tape culture.

    ReplyDelete
  2. YES YES YES....exciting stuff indeed!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I still love mix tapes/cds/playlists/whatever you want to call them. They're incredibly addictive. Agreed: Sheffield's book was a beautiful read.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Excellent site, keep up the good work. I read a lot of blogs on a daily basis and for the most part, people lack substance but, I just wanted to make a quick comment to say I'm glad I found your blog, Thanks,
    A definite great read.....
    ------
    Girish
    ------
    wow gold--wow gold

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is such a great resource that you are providing and you give it away for free. I love seeing websites that understand the value of providing a quality resource for free. It is the old what goes around comes around routine. Did you acquired lots of links and I see lots of trackbacks??
    antikeylogger!anti keylogger

    ReplyDelete