Pages

Thursday, October 29, 2009

White Rabbits at The Blue Note, 10/29



If you've lived in Columbia for any length of time, you probably know all about White Rabbits, a band pulled from our university's very own magic hat. Here's where I confess my out-of-towner (even though that's really no excuse) ignorance: I actually DID NOT know about White Rabbits, living under a dark and obstructing dunce cap as I apparently do. (I actually DO know about white rabbits, having had one as a pet, but Oscar never shredded a guitar—just spinach leaves.)

If you suffer from a similar peaked hat of shame, you can easily educate yourself by going to see White Rabbits when they shake up The Blue Note Thursday night. They'll be playing in honor of KCOU's 46th birthday, along with Suckers and Glass Ghost.

Here's what I discovered: The six-member band formed in 2004 when frontmen Greg Roberts and Stephen Patterson met at Mizzou. After relocating to Brooklyn in 2005, they released their first studio album, Fort Nightly, in 2007 and followed it up earlier this year with It's Frightening. They've played David Letterman and been featured on NPR's World Cafe—nothing to sneeze at for a couple of former Missourians.

White Rabbits once described themselves as "honky tonk calypso," although recent reviews suggest they've mellowed a bit under the influence of new album producer Britt Daniel of Spoon and new practice-space mates The Walkmen. They've scrapped some of the ska and moved into more mature territory, throwing in slower-paced songs and still managing to throttle along with singles like "Percussion Gun."



It's going to take me a little while to see what I think of these guys. I'm not blown away by their percussion gun, but I haven't done my research yet...

Come see White Rabbits with Suckers and Glass Ghost at The Blue Note, Thursday, October 29. Doors open at 9:30.

2 comments:

  1. well, prepare to just... not be all that blown away. I saw them a few months ago at Mojo's and thought they were a little weak (their sound at least). they are good musicians n all, but just no soul in the songs. the singer/piano guy seemed like he was trying to be British. I liked the idea of percussion gun too, but it just left me wanting to listen to Man Man (Rabbit Habits).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the tip. I had a feeling they were lacking something. It's like they're too clean--not enough mess.

    ReplyDelete