Pages

Tuesday, November 24, 2009

Ten Best Soundtracks of the 00s


With only one month to go in the current decade, top 10 lists are popping up like swine flu mutations... Top 10 Songs from Schmaltz-Lacquered TV Shows, Top 10 Tunes to Tweet Like a Twit About, Top 10 Concerts for Naked Crowd Surfing, Top 10 Songs to Listen to While Recycling Tofu Cartons, Top 10 Bands to Mail Body Fluids To, etc.... Everyone loves a list: they're neat, they're concise, they're scannable. They are also, for those of us in a time crunch this holiday week, easy to post about.

And so...

Paste Magazine has compiled its list of 10 Best Movie Soundtracks of the Last Decade. You can listen to each soundtrack in its entirety on the Paste website. The list is as follows:

  1. The Twilight Saga: New Moon (2009)
  2. The Life Aquatic with Steve Zissou (2004)
  3. Vanilla Sky (2001)
  4. High Fidelity (2000)
  5. Juno (2007)
  6. Almost Famous (2007)
  7. Garden State (2004)
  8. I'm Not There (2007)
  9. Once (2007)
  10. O Brother, Where Art Thou? (2001)

Obviously, there are some omissions here, including Into the Wild, Royal Tenenbaums, and Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind. I haven't had a chance to listen to I'm Not There, but I have owned and cranked copies of High Fidelity and Garden State, and my mom can vouch for O Brother, Where Art Thou? I've also heard good things about the oft-overlooked Vanilla Sky. Once and Juno are both sort of  givens, although The Life Aquatic, which benefited from the bossa nova cool of Seu Jorge, is still a bit of a surprise.



Reader comments on Paste's posting include venomous responses to Twilight's inclusion, as well as calls for I Heart Huckabees, The Whackness, Slumdog Millionaire, The Proposition, (500) Days of Summer, Thumbsucker, and Dan in Real Life. One sex-deprived individual even reminds everyone that, technically, the decade is from 2001–2010, so we are all jumping the gun.

6 comments:

  1. yuck...that list leaves unsavory feelings in me. Granted, movie soundtracks are easy gateway drugs for faggy fifteen year olds to get into indie--and certainly the 2000s have banked on that notion like nobody's business. However, now that I'm not fifteen and slightly less faggy and have a brain to see the kind of hivemind the alt world is trying to create, I know better than to buy into the "movie soundtrack as mass manufactured mixtape" that teens and entry-level/out of the loop adults so easily buy into.
    That being said, I'm pretty certain that the soundtrack to The Royal Tenenbaums (2001) is the best one. ever. And I don't even like that movie all that much anymore.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I always get a bit impatient with soundtracks because I prefer just making my own mixtapes. One nice thing about soundtracks, though, is finding one or two songs on them that would have remained buried otherwise.

    "Gateway drugs for faggy fifteen-year-olds..." I love that.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm not loving the "Gateway drugs for faggy fifteen-year-olds" at all. So nice to know that you are "so above" all of this. You sound like a fifteen-year-old when you make that comment.

    ReplyDelete
  4. At least some of the gateway drugs for faggy 15 year olds in 2009 are better than the soundtrack musical portals I had when I was 15. Christ - did I ACTUALLY purchase the soundtrack to Karate Kid II? Yup.....The highlight of the album was some song by Tears for Fears leadman Roland Orzabal's side project called Man-Crab. Just thinking about it all now makes me feel like I have man-crabs.

    ReplyDelete
  5. P.S. I agree with Carrie....Royal Tenenbaums Soundtrack is a favorite....Elliot Smith, Nick Drake and a very young Jackson Browne playing electric guitar for the song he gave to Nico but should have kept for himself.....love is such a bitch.

    ReplyDelete
  6. True on that front (about the 2k9 soundtracks). but do we really even need them in the time of free mp3 blogs around every corner?

    ReplyDelete