Pages

Friday, December 11, 2009

Album of the Week, 12/11/09--"Arrow" by Clare and the Reasons



Perhaps I've been influenced by all the plastic holiday crap and lit-up reindeer on people's lawns, but this week I'm featuring an almost annoyingly saccharine band, Clare and the Reasons, who've just shot their sophomore album, Arrow (October 20), across the music scene, where it's somehow less cloying than candy kanes. I don't know why Clare's baby voice isn't driving me over the edge, but it isn't. Maybe this is my one nod to the whimsy of the season, and it isn't even a holiday album. I just find myself enjoying "You Got Time" and "Ooh You Hurt Me So" like Crisco-laden cookies.

I'm not familiar with Clare and the Reasons' first album The Movie, but their latest release features a guest appearance by Shara Worden of My Brightest Diamond (who shone like a gargantuan diamond during the Decemberists' show in October) as well as a cover of the Genesis song "That's All." Not being enamored of the original version of Phil Collins' masterpiece, I'm pretty nonplussed with this one, but people are abacabing over it.

Clare and the Reasons appear to be going after an early 70s Burt Bacharach cool mixed with childlike wonder. I can't decide if I love it or hate it, honestly, but it's capturing my attention like tinsel.

"Ooh You Hurt Me So"

 Download "Ooh You Hurt Me So" [mp3]

"That's All"

 Download "That's All" [mp3]

Clare and the Reasons: "All the Wine"


Have a gingerbready weekend.

6 comments:

  1. I know that I LOVE that band, they're amazing, and very original, which is rare!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cool! Thanks for weighing in. It seems I owe Clare and her Reasons a more in-depth listen.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The gauntlet hath been laid, dear lady. Oh yes. Revenge will come swift but cold as the night.

    You might want to familiarize yourself with the lyrics of 'That's All.'

    "Just as I thought it was going all right,
    I found I'm wrong, when I thought I was right.
    It's always the same, it's just a shame and that's all."

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nonplussed. That song is just a shame, and that's all.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm giving this 'No Reply At All" because you're making me feel like I'm living in a 'Land of Confusion' with your 'Invisible Touch'....

    I'm not above pathetic Genesis-related word play to slowly drive you mad....don't push me.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think you're "Taking It All Too Hard." It's just a simple "Misunderstanding."

    ReplyDelete