Pages

Wednesday, December 16, 2009

Fa La La La La ... Dead Man's Bones



I realize a Dead Man's Bones post would have been more appropriate two months ago, but I'm on a KCOU-inspired roll this week, and this project caught my ears. I've been hearing "My Body's a Zombie for You" on KCOU and had it pegged as Arcade Fire.

Except it isn't.

Half of it is Ryan Gosling, Mr. Half Nelson himself.



 The other half is Zach Shields.



Add to the cauldron the Silverlake Conservatory Children's Choir, and the stage is set for a disembodied horror movie soundtrack—as in, there's no actual movie attached.



Normally, this actor affiliation would unfairly bias me toward the band, but I'll admit I was fooled, and the songs KCOU's been playing are spooky little numbers of aural goth gore that would make Bryan Ferry proud.

Intrigued, I read an old Pitchfork article about the band from January. Gosling and Shields wanted to avoid an overproduced sound, so they limited each song's recording to three takes only, banned electric guitars, and learned to play instruments on the spot. They fully admit they are not accomplished musicians or even good ones. This applies to their voices, too, which waver like old 50s crooners and lend a sort of drunk second-rate Dracula vibe to the whole process.

The album was released October 6. You've probably heard the following tracks on our local college radio station:

"In the Room Where You Sleep"

Download "In the Room Where You Sleep" [mp3]

"My Body's a Zombie for You"

Download "My Body's a Zombie for You" [mp3]

"Pa Pa Power"

Download "Pa Pa Power" [mp3]

My curiousity can now rest in peace.

No comments:

Post a Comment