Pages

Monday, December 14, 2009

Oh, Sister, This Song Is Stuck in My Head



Andrew Bird's "Oh, Sister" has been in heavy rotation on KCOU lately, and I'm pleased it has perched itself in my brain, uprooting Christmas jingle ear worms.

"Oh, Sister" by Andrew Bird with Nora O'Connor

The song is actually a Bob Dylan cover from Bird's 2007 Soldier On EP, but it's been getting some revived attention after Bird and Annie Clark performed it during their tour together this fall.


(Andrew Bird and St. Vincent)

The KCOU-played/EP version pairs Bird's signature haunting whistle with backing vocals from Chicagoan Nora O'Connor for a truly magical duet forged in a phoenix-producing bowl of fire.


(Robin Pecknold, July 11, 2009)

While I was hunting down the track by Bird, I stumbled across another version of the same song by Fleet Foxes' Robin Pecknold, recorded live July 11 at a charity show for the Vera Project, a music and arts center run by and for kids in Seattle. His version sounds much more Dylanesque.

"Oh, Sister" by Robin Pecknold

Download "Oh, Sister" [mp3]

Not all covers are created equal, but these are both pretty decent. I'm hooked on the Bird version myself.

Happy Monday.

No comments:

Post a Comment