Tuesday, December 22, 2009
Shining a Major Lazer on COMO CYCO's "Best of" Lists
I ran into the COMO CYCO's very own Grand PooBah downtown recently, chaining up his ride to a post outside Lakota Coffee with an insouciant air that can only come from sporting a bright red fez and cycling knickers. Concealing his identity with a white silk aviator scarf, he promised to provide me with a list of his top 10 albums of 2009 and also of the decade in exchange for a pumpkin pie latte. His voice may be acerbic, but his tastes are sweet.
I can't vouch for the spiciness of the latte, but the Grand PooBah delivered a spicy list a few days later. Who is the force behind Columbia's own Cycling Cooperative? A frequent commenter on this blog, and a disdain disseminator on his own site, the PooBah obviously has impeccable taste in music, as evidenced by the following lists. He may be mocking your bike, but, rest assured, he's listening to good tunes while doing it.
COMO CYCO PooBah's Top 10 Albums of 2009 (in no particular order)
1. Middle Cyclone by Neko Case
2. Veckatimest by Grizzly Bear
3. The Sparrow and the Crow by William Fitzsimmons
4. This Empty Northern Hemisphere by Gregory Alan Isakov
5. 3 Rounds and a Sound by Blind Pilot
6. Lost Channels by Great Lake Swimmers
7. The Woodlands by The Woodlands
8. Strict Joy by The Swell Season
9. Tribute To by Yim Yames
10. Oh My God, Charlie Darwin by The Low Anthem
COMO CYCO PooBah's Top 10 Albums of the Decade (in no particular order)
1. Heartbreaker by Ryan Adams (2000)
2. Transatlanticism by Death Cab for Cutie (2003)
3. Our Endless Numbered Days by Iron and Wine (2004)
4. Tiny Cities by Sun Kil Moon (2005)
5. Descended Like Vultures by Rogue Wave (2005)
6. Fox Confessor Brings the Flood by Neko Case (2006)
7. Everything All the Time by Band of Horses (2006)
8. The End of History by Fionn Regan (2007)
9. April by Sun Kil Moon (2008)
10. For Emma, Forever Ago by Bon Iver (2008)
The PooBah also sent me his pick for best video of 2009 to make sure we're all scared "straight sexy" into our weight loss resolutions for New Year's. Not only have I embedded this video in today's post, I have inadvertently embedded this song in my head. Curse you, PooBah... you and your fez.
Major Lazer - "Keep It Goin' Louder" from Downtown Music on Vimeo.