Pages

Wednesday, December 30, 2009

Top 10 Albums of 2009



Everyone else is doing it, and so am I. It's that wrap-up time of year, right? I already brought you the COMOCYCO's top 10 albums last week, and here are mine... Actually, I compiled this list in response to a request from local blogger comoprozac over at living in misery. Be sure to check out his incredible month-long project of best-of lists from guest bloggers near and far, including one from yours truly. You'll find lists of obscure bands, popular bands, and even a list of "10 Best Things I Ate in 2009." Definitely check it out when time permits and get to know some local music lovers.

Without further ado, here's the list I sent to comoprozac:

Top 10 Albums of 2009

1. Grizzly Bear, Veckatimest


2. Le Loup, Family


3. The Antlers, Hospice


4. We Were Promised Jetpacks, These Four Walls


5. Portland Cello Project, The Thao and Justin Power Sessions


6. Great Lake Swimmers, Lost Channels


7. Andrew Bird, Noble Beast


8. Kings of Convenience, Declaration of Dependence


9. Blind Pilot, 3 Rounds and a Sound


10. Dirty Projectors, Bitte Orca


If you're particularly vigilant, you'll see that Blind Pilot's album was actually released in 2008. Oops. I realized this after sending off my list.

I had a really hard time making this list because of my tendency to listen to only one or two tracks per artist—a very guilty habit, but I suspect I'm not alone. I promise to be better in 2010.

6 comments:

  1. Speaking of which, I just heard an interesting piece on NPR that said the album is dead. Perhaps this is a result of the digital music revolution - that singles are just too accessible through MP3 sharing/purchasing - But I would be interested to hear what you and your readers think: Is the album (as we children of the 80s/90s) knew it, in fact, dead?

    ReplyDelete
  2. It makes me sad to think albums are a thing of the past, because like many people, I grew up with records, 8-tracks, cassettes, and CDs. But at the same time, we are now saved from buying entire albums that are just crap except for one song. From the artists' perspective, I guess we're tearing single chapters from their music novels and not appreciating them in their entirety.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I mourn the loss of the album daily. Singles are easier to digest and to create, but I think its a greater show of musicianship if a band can make a solid album. As a kid I regretted buying cassette tapes where I found out that I only liked one song on it, but once I really started listening to and following music as I grew older, I found the album to be way more rewarding. I still don't care much for downloading albums and just listening to them on my computer or ipod. There's something about having a tangible object, too, that makes the experience richer, somehow.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've long felt that way about bound books vs. electronic books. I need to be able to turn pages. A downloaded iPod album just isn't the same as an actual cd, record, or cassette.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I can't read things on screens more than 500 words. I can't even listen to audiobooks.

    It's along the same vein as my dad not being able to wear a digital watch.
    Viva la analog!

    ReplyDelete
  6. grizzly bear on 1 !
    that's awesome :]

    ReplyDelete