Pages

Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Haiti



We've been swathed in fog for days, and I find myself missing the sun and whining about it, but then I see the news reports from Haiti. Fog? Seriously? Is this the worst of my concerns?

Here's a brief run-down of what some in the music world are doing to help out:



Arcade Fire's RĂ©gine Chassagne recently wrote an editorial for British paper The Observer urging people to donate money for Haitian relief to Partners in Health. Chassagne has familial ties to the country, which she explored in the song "Haiti" (one of my favorites, off Funeral). Her editorial tackles the issue of the underlying corruption revealed by the tragedy.



Fucked Up and Matador are auctioning off the band's forthcoming singles comp Couple Tracks and the "Couple Tracks" 7" on eBay, with all donated money going to Doctors Without Borders in Haiti. The Matador warehouse is also running a Twitter contest in which donations to Oxfam get you entered to win a Couple Tracks test pressing.



KCRW in Los Angeles has a huge list of links for donations, etc. on its site.

As mentioned above, I happen to love the song "Haiti," and it seems pretty appropriate to include it here. Here's Arcade Fire in Paris in 2007:

2 comments:

  1. If folks are interested, I have a few more links over at my new blog. (Just be aware that I close the post with a cynical rant. Now you know and knowing is half the battle.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I dig the new blog. (There's now a link to it in my blogroll.) Thanks for finding some additional links and letting people know!

    ReplyDelete