Pages

Thursday, February 18, 2010

Aural Fix 2/18/10: "Ambling Alp" by Yeasayer


I'm not what you would call a naysayer about Yeasayer, but I haven't liked everything I've heard from the exuberant bunch. However, "Ambling Alp," the first single off their new album Odd Blood, released February 8, sounds like the glorious love child of Tears for Fears and Depeche Mode. Just watching the video makes my face feel all rubbery and relaxed. It also makes me want to frolic and roll all bare-assed down a hillside. You'll see what I mean: work-friendly this video is not.



"Ambling Alp" by Yeasayer

Download "Ambling Alp" [mp3]

Yeasayer is a Brooklyn-based band whose first album, All Hour Cymbals, came out in 2007. (Their myspace page describes them as "ENYA with BOUNCE.") They first came to my attention last summer when my partner in musical crime added them to the mixcd he gifted me with shortly after we met. Yes, indeed, love truly is a mixtape–especially when it involves lots of weird tribal shouting from Yeasayer.
 
If you're so inclined, you can sail away to St. Louis on April 26 to see them at The Gargoyle (Washington University's student-run concert venue).

No comments:

Post a Comment