Pages

Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Festivals!


With February drawing to a close, everyone is getting a little stir crazy and craving activity. And so festival season begins its slow wind-up to the ultimate climax of summer. Today the 18th annual Noise Pop Festival gets under way out in San Francisco. If you or I were fortunate enough to be traveling in San Francisco this week (instead of reading this blog), we could see Rogue Wave, The Dodos, Edward Sharpe and the Zeros, Atlas Sound, We Were Promised Jetpacks, Mark Kozelek, The Magnetic Fields, and a host of other performers, along with screenings of selected films, including Blood into Wine (Maynard James Keenan crafts wine in the desert) and The Secret to a Happy Ending (the Drive-By Truckers share their story).

(True/False 2009)

But wait! We here in Columbia have our own little film festival this weekend... a little festival known as True/False. This is only my second winter in Columbia, and I've yet to check out the True/False hoopla. Frankly, it sounds like a cluster, but lest I come across as overly cranky and self-righteous, I should mention that I have a pass to a Sunday showing of GasLand. I'm going to see what all the fuss is about and keep my cynicism to a minimum.

After all, there's only so much ice dancing you can watch in a week.

2 comments:

  1. It's kinda hard to remember which calendar holiday is next -- St. Patrick's Day as Adam Lambert anticipates by "Going Green" or Halloween as in the Aboriginal ice dancers costumes. They're attention-getters! It'd be funny to see Adam L. as an ice dancing leprechaun.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I imagine the whole ice-dancing mystique would help him get luckier than a four-leaf clover.

    ReplyDelete