Pages

Thursday, March 18, 2010

Aural Fix 3/18/2010: "Swim Until You Can't See Land" by Frightened Rabbit


I'm heading out of town Thursday night to drive my mama to the dentist over in central Illinois. It used to be that when I left town to visit family, I left a frightened pet rabbit behind in my apartment. These days I just listen to Frightened Rabbit.

Here's your quick and dirty Aural Fix for the week: "Swim Until You Can't see Land" from Frightened Rabbit's latest, The Winter of Mixed Drinks, released two weeks ago.


Frightened Rabbit is Scottish, which makes them cool and gives lead singer Scott Hutchison one of the most distinctive voices around. On the Fat Cat Records website, Hutchison describes the first single from their third album:

"Swim Until You Can't See Land" was the title I had in my mind before I even started writing the album; I was becoming more and more interested in the idea of a rejection of the habits and behaviour most people see as normal, and in turn embracing a certain madness. It’s about losing your mind in order to reset the mind and the body. Forget what’s gone before and wash it out. This is not necessarily a geographical journey, as the "swim" can involve any activity in which you can lose yourself. It’s a good introduction to the record as the theme unravels therein.

"Swim Until You Can't See Land" by Frightened Rabbit

Download "Swim Until You Can't See Land" [mp3]

We all want to reinvent ourselves from time to time; for me, I feel the urge several times per day. I usually just stick to the shoreline and listen to music like this when I'm feeling fired up—especially now when the extra daylight has me going. Listening to music about self-reinvention is way safer than selling all my shit and walking to the tip of South America.

1 comment: