Pages

Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Avett Brothers Tonight at The Blue Note--SOLD OUT


Ever since last October, people have been planning for tonight's Avett Brothers/Low Anthem show at the Missouri Theatre. Half of Columbia seems to be attending this show, and so it comes as no surprise that it's sold out. I haven't heard any recent shows get so much hype...and I really can't explain it. I don't have anything against the Avett Brothers; I've just been lazy when it comes to them, I suppose. Thanks to BXR, which usually drives me away with Dave Matthews drivel, I've heard "I And Love And You," but that's pretty much the extent of it. I wasn't motivated enough to buy tickets for the show.

Reading up on the Avett Brothers a bit, I learned that Seth and Scott are actual brothers and artists who adorn their album covers with their paintings and sketches. Scott Avett owns his own gallery in Concord, North Carolina.


They play with upright bassist Bob Crawford and sometimes with cellist Joe Kwon.

Here they are performing for NPR:


According to the Avett Brothers' site, they are known for their high-energy shows and for "popping banjo and guitar strings right and left while inciting stomping singalongs." If you're going to the show—and I imagine 50% of my 10 readers are—it sounds like you're in for a raucous treat. Enjoy.

5 comments:

  1. Hey, you should register this blog over at MyMissourian. This is like the only place where regular concert updates are posted.

    Tonight's show is at the MO, right?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmmm...I'll have to check that out.

    Yep, the show is at the Missouri Theatre--not The Blue Note.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree - this blog should be registered!!! Whatever that means...What would we do without our Ravenous Horde???

    ReplyDelete
  4. Reader 11. Found you via my google alerts for them. Should be a great show. Give their earlier music a listen and you'll be sure to get a ticket next time......

    dan in MA

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for checking my site out... I did read somewhere that their earlier stuff was messier and better and that the latest stuff suffers from overproduction--a common lament, it seems.

    ReplyDelete