Pages

Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Big Smith at The Blue Note, 3/26


I'm not from these here parts, but I've recently heard tell of the band Big Smith. My sister-in-law, actually, just invited me to go see them this Friday at The Blue Note. The self-described "Ozark hillbilly band" from Springfield, MO, just released their latest album, Roots Shoots & Wings, in February. I'm no bluegrass enthusiast, but I'm willing to give a bunch of neo-hillbillies equipped with a washboard, guitar, fiddle, and mandolin a whole-hearted try based on enthusiastic feedback from people I've talked to.

Intrigued, I checked out their myspace page last week. The first song was a bit twangy for me, but I moved down the playlist and liked what I heard. It should be a fun evening with my sister-in-law, who I've barely seen in the past few months.

If you're really curious, there's even a documentary about the band, Homemade Hillbilly Jam, that's earned lots of praise at film festivals round the world.

Come see Big Smith at The Blue Note, Friday, March 26. Doors open at 8:00.

No comments:

Post a Comment