Pages

Thursday, April 22, 2010

Aural Fix 4/23/2010: "Not Even in July" by JBM


One of the best things about Tuesday night's Rogue Wave concert was catching the opening act, JBM, a singer/songwriter molded from the same raw material as Jim James and Gregory Alan Isakov. His first album Not Even in July was officially released (Partisan Records) on April 13, although it was recorded back in 2008 and self-released last year.


JBM is Jesse Marchant, a New Yorker with a seriously good voice. He played "From Me to You and You to Me" (listen below) at Mojo's using loops for the slide guitar. My friend and I sat on the floor for his set and forgot our crappy work days as we focused on the music in that moment. This type of thing is perfect for a wee venue like Mojo's.

Marchant spent some time in Los Angeles in 2009 and recorded the soundtrack for the Canadian film Lovers in a Dangerous Time. He also created a stir at this year's SXSW festival.

"From Me to You and You to Me"

Download "From Me to You and You to Me" [mp3]

Some people hate the whole singer/songwriter thing. Singing with an acoustic guitar isn't edgy or experimental; it's boring, it's safe... but I knew I liked JBM as soon as I opened his website and previewed the first track on his playlist. I was further convinced an hour later when I saw him onstage. Some people win the vocal lottery and are born with voices like this. Others take up the cello.

3 comments:

  1. Good stuff. Thanks for your blog. You expand my artist/music horizons without me scouring the interwebs.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the nice comment. Comments like yours make this whole thing seem worthwhile.

    ReplyDelete
  3. 你可以從外表的美來評論一朵花或一隻蝴蝶,但你不能這樣來評論一個人........................................

    ReplyDelete