Pages

Sunday, May 9, 2010

Paper Planes for The Clientele

I ran my first 10K this Saturday at the Jay Dix Challenge to Cure 5K/10K run at Flatbranch Park. There's nothing like running from downtown to the Hearnes Center and back... and then doing it again. You'd think I would have spent those 50-something minutes listening to new music on my iPod, but I don't like running with one.

(Running in the no-iPod world)

I also can't read/work with music on (it's a concentration thing), and sadly, I spent most of my time inside this weekend freelance proofreading a textbook on medical coding. (Now I know the codes for ruptured esophagus and candidiasis of the lip.) I did manage to get out on Saturday night to visit my brother and his wife. We watched a DVD of The Brothers Bloom:


The music was good, and I was inspired to make a camera obscura from a watermelon.

(I actually want to try it with something less sticky. I've always been curious about these things.)

Driving home later, I heard the KCOU dj talking about The Clientele's cover of M.I.A.'s "Paper Planes," which they recorded for a recent covers project. Apparently, The Onion has a print/web-based entertainment newspaper called The A.V. Club (for "audiovisual") that features real, non-Oniony, interviews, reviews, etc. (and a venti-load of Starbucks advertising).

One of The A.V. Club's recent projects is A.V. Undercover, a plan to shoot music videos of artists covering a song they choose from a list of A.V. Club-selected songs. And so The Clientele showed up early and opted to step outside their mod comfort zone by covering "Paper Planes"... although they manage to Georgie Girl it up anyway. Nah, I kid. It's all good fun. You can watch it here.

(The Clientele)

This should be an interesting project. So far Ted Leo and the Pharmacists, Fruit Bats, Alkaline Trio, Cursive, and others have stepped into the studio. Pavement's "Cut Your Hair" remains unclaimed, along with notable tracks from The Smiths, The Cure, The Lemonheads, R.E.M., Nirvana, etc.

3 comments:

  1. I was checking your blog out from our mutual super blogger, Poobah. I had to comment on one humorous curiosity. You blog is quite cool, about the local music scene et. al. I think that's great..... but your Google advertisements are for earplugs and hearing-aids!!!!

    You've got to admit, that's funny!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey, thanks for checking my blog out! Comments are always appreciated.

    I don't know what is up with the ads. When I launched this blog, the ads were all music-related. Now all my readers are going deaf apparently.... (I've had other strange ads on here, too, for everything from Sarah Palin to Quaker Oats.)

    ReplyDelete